MBT SKills Training
MBT Skills Training
Mentalization Based Therapy is an evidence based therapy for working with people with a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder.
The skills training was developed to allow workers to access the MBT interventions that were seen to be so helpful in everyday working with a group of clients who have proven to be difficult to engage. It is accepted that most workers will not be part of a specialist PD service but they will come across this group of clients in their work and it is our experience that these skills facilitate a more meaningful dialogue.
The MBT skills training is delivered over 2 separate days preferably separated by a couple of weeks to allow participants to practice their skills and complete the allotted tasks. The format is a combination of didactic teaching, role play and DVD clips. It is hoped that the experience is seen as enjoyable and although many people feel threatened by role play they more often than not report the merit of it in the evaluation forms distributed at the end of each day.
After participation in the training participants will be expected to be able to:
- Explain what mentalizing is and how it develops
- Discuss the relevance of mentalizing in psychiatric disorders
- Implement a mentalizing stance with patients
- Recognise non mentalizing and consider approaches to restore mentalizing
- Identify areas of their practice which are enhanced by mentalizing techniques
- The cost of the 2 day course is £120 per attendee
- The preferred ratio is 15 delegates to 1 trainer.
- The minimum attendance is 10 and the maximum is 30
- Venue , refreshments etc costs should be met by host organisation.